What is Social Media Calendar?
Social media calendar is like a day wise, monthly or yearly plan related to the posts of social media, that is to be followed. Since there are many activities that need to take place on social media therefore without a proper plan all efforts can go waste.
Creating Social Media Calendar
For purpose of creating a social media content calendar that will be beneficial for the company, few steps should be taken into consideration.
1) Conducting social media audit is required in order to decide what must be posted and at what channels. Companies can list down channels they are already using and how effective those channels are. While evaluating channels it is important to focus on place of your target audience at which it is more active, most effective channel or platform in terms of growth and lastly source of traffic and customer engagement. If there is any channel which gets more customer engagement or traffic, then it should be evaluated in order to find out the difference between it and other channels at which the company is present.
2) It is essential to decide on the type of Content that is required for Social Media. It must be decided that what must be shared and where does it have to be shared. Content audit can be done in order to determine which content provides better result or even the content of others can be seen to know trend. Posts that are to be shared on social media can vary from image (single or gallery) to videos (live streaming) to text (eye catchy) to links (external content). When deciding about content two things should be kept in mind a) it should be informational and b) it should be promotional. A content repository could be made beforehand.
3) Once it is decided what content must be posted, the schedule of posting is to be determined. Trends are visible after conducting audit which can be helpful in organizing and planning future posts for gaining more attention. When it comes to posting time like how often should be the information posted it must be kept in mind that it is not always the quantity that matters but instead quality plays a vital role thus if there are valuable pieces of information that can be shared regularly than it is good otherwise regular posts are not required. Each platform could have a different requirement and thus slots should be kept before time according to each.
4) When the content, platforms and time are decided its best to fill out the calendar. Responsibilities should be assigned in a team for updating the calendar when needed.
5) Once all details are added in the calendar it can be shared with people of the team in order to keep everyone on the same track.
Benefits of Social Media Calendar
Social media calendar helps to have focus and leads to effectiveness. It helps in providing what must be published, upcoming material, and strategizing what content must be published at what date or time and why it must be published at that specific time thus enhancing and illustrating the importance of activities to maintain focus. Knowing and deciding about what has to be done on various special events or holidays before time would be beneficial for the company because they may be then able to decide about
promotions or gifts beforehand in order to get advantage. With the content being planned and scheduled beforehand it will be easy to post consistently. It is essential for marketing team to line up the social posts in order to save time and energy. Social media calendar can also be used for transparency as it can be shared with stakeholder’s higher management so that everyone knows what is posted and when and it will be easier to allocate duties and resources accordingly thus ensuring quality.